Sunday, October 14, 2007

Like Ivy on a brick-Wall

Yesterday, I saw a willow tree,
Happy under the diamond-lit sky.
It was all by itself, humming,
Humming a song I had long forgotten,
And I remembered you.
I remembered you as you were,
When you came charging,
Charging on a chariot of fire
Against my defenseless shoreline.

You conquered my country,
You demolished my freedom.

Just as suddenly as you came,
Without giving a second thought,
Without giving another look,
On the first signal, you left,
You left my impoverished country,
Impoverished by your absence.
From time to time, I wonder,
As I am wondering now,
Where you are and
Where you would be.
Perhaps, you are busy,
Busy raising stone butterflies,
Or reading lost letters of history.

As I walk these abandoned streets,
Streets abandoned by Sunday afternoon,
I remember watching you,
Watching you what you do to your movement,
Your feminine movement of the Pacific gracefulness
And Mediterranean brilliance.
But, I , most of all,
Remember wanting to do to you,
What Ivy does to the brick-wall.

No comments: