Friday, December 14, 2007

The Day Sun Forgot to Rise

O night, silent and dark!
O night, without sky!
From the vast labyrinth of darkness,
From a land of unuttered words,
The night of unknown race and creed arrives
Among criminals and righteous,
Amidst poor and rich homes,
Temples and brothels.
O night of the peaceful rivers
And furious wartime,
You unfold yourself effortlessly
Upon water, space, time and trees.
With your nocturnal wings,
You disguise as dawn
The harsh sun of the noon.
Also, you give us a refuge,
Though fleeting,
In the lands of strange thoughts
And violent images.
Someday,
If I should chance upon
My own self crossing,
As a nation,
The last bridge,
The last river,
Let me look back
Through the cracks
In the door
Which is closing already
To watch you
Release
My restless spirit
Of wild immigrant ancestry
From the dark pages
Of your unedited diary.

O night, silent and wise!
O night, without limits!
O dark night of the brilliant rays of hope!
I shall not forget what you taught me.
See,
I can walk on the turbulent waters!

No comments: